Dating from 1927, the oldest non-public squash court docket in London has a outstanding historical past. Situated on the highest flooring of a mews constructing hooked up to No.four St. James’s Square, the court docket was constructed by The Army and Navy Club which had outgrown its premises on the nook of Pall Mall and George Street. After three years of improvement the brand new mews constructing offered chambers, bed-sitting-rooms, bedrooms, a women’ drawing-room, a dining-room and floor flooring store premises along with the squash court docket.
The Army and Navy Club
The Army and Navy Club had been based in 1837, the 12 months Queen Victoria acceded to the Throne. It had been shaped to satisfy the wants of the various military officers wanting to hitch a Service Club, most of which had been already full. Its first president was Arthur Wellesley, First Duke of Wellington, who accepted the publish given that membership was additionally open to officers of the Royal Navy and the Royal Marines.
The In & Out
By 1862, London boasted three Service Clubs: the United Service Club, the Junior United Service Club and The Army and Navy Club, all of which had been at full capability. To meet demand, a fourth membership, The Naval and Military Club, was based in March 1862 by a celebration of officers who at the moment had been quartered on the Tower of London.
After a number of modifications of premises, The Naval and Military Club moved, in 1866, to 94 Piccadilly, also referred to as Cambridge House. There, it got here to be often known as “The In & Out” from the distinguished indicators on the constructing’s separate automobile entrance and exit gates. In 1996, having didn’t agree phrases for a brand new lease in Piccadilly, the membership bought the freehold of four St. James’s Square and at last moved into its new residence on 1st February, 1999.
The Squash Court
As a part of its freehold, The In & Out gained entry to the squash court docket previously utilized by The Army and Navy Club. Now in its 90th 12 months of use, entry to the court docket is a key a part of the membership’s health and leisure programme.
Evidence of the historic use of the court docket may be seen within the type of an honours board within the clubhouse the place the winners of a Squash Challenge Cup for the years 1936-56 are listed. The competitors was not contested for the years 1939-47.
The Naval and Military Club is now marketed as a St James’s non-public members membership for women and gents, and officers of the Armed Forces.
four St. James’s Square History
four St. James’s Square was in-built 1726–28 throughout the reigns of George I and George II. Amongst its distinguished occupants had been Waldorf and Nancy Astor who made it their London residence from 1912-42. American-born Nancy Astor was the primary lady to sit down as a United Kingdom Member of Parliament in 1919, later changing into Viscountess Astor.
In 1942, the home was requisitioned by the federal government and was used because the London headquarters of the Free French Forces led by General Charles de Gaulle.
In April 1984, St. James’s Square turned the centre of world consideration because the setting for the 11-day lengthy Libyan Embassy siege triggered by the deadly capturing of WPC Yvonne Fletcher. The Libyan Embassy occupied 5 St. James’s Square.
The web sites of The Army and Navy Club, The Naval and Military Club and British History Online. Thanks to Wikipedia as all the time.